Governor Newsom Proclaims Regional Drought Emergency
Drought Conditions Are Upon Us Again
On April 21, 2021 Governor Newsom issued a State of Emergency Proclamation in response to very dry conditions affecting much of the state. The Governor has called on state agencies and local water utilities to inform Californians about the drought and encourage actions to reduce water usage. As we approach the summer months, it is important to keep in mind that California has experienced less than 50% of its normal precipitation over the past two years, and drought conditions are once again upon us.
San Gabriel Valley Water Company acknowledges the tremendous actions taken by our customers to continue conserving water year after year since the last drought. The Governor’s drought proclamation is a reminder to our customers to continue conserving water to ensure we have sufficient water supplies should drought conditions continue in to next year. As drought conditions evolve through the year, we will keep you informed as we receive updates from the State of California.
If everyone does a little, we save a lot. Help us conserve water with these helpful tips:
- Install a smart sprinkler timer and save up to 120 gallons per day.
- Water your yard early in the morning or late in the evening to reduce evaporation. Save up to 25 gallons a day.
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean the driveway and save up to 21 gallons each time.
- Replace part of your lawn with California friendly plants and save thousands of gallons a month.
- Fix leaking faucets and running toilets. Save up to 20 gallons a day.
- Turn off the water when you brush your teeth and shorten your showers to 5 minutes. Save up to 25 gallons a day.
- Wash full loads of laundry and save between 15 and 40 gallons each time.
- Install a new high efficiency toilet and save up to 40 gallons per day.
Learn more about water conservation at www.sgvwater.com, www.bewaterwise.com and www.socalwatersmart.com for other conservation tips and information on available rebates. If you have any question, please contact Anthony Alberti at 626-774-2278.